Near the turn of the century, the Colemans, a pair of brothers, built this stately three gabled home on Main Street of La Veta. The stone was quarried from the nearby hills.
The Lamme brothers, a pair of doctors, opened it as a clinic and hospital from 1911 until 1919. Dr. James and Julian Lamme treated patients in the coal mining camps of Oakview and Ojo as well as La Veta.
Earl, Lewis and Paul Lee, three doctor brothers, then ran the hospital until 1942.
It was used as a boarding house from 1942 to 1980 by Kate Gross.
The 1899 Inn is registered in the National Registry of Historic Places.
Current owner, Marilyn Hall, bought the building in 1980 and, after adding 5 lavatories and 3 bathrooms, opened it as The 1899 Inn. Over the years, a cottage was built out back and a conservatory breakfast room was added on the south side of the house.
After Marilyn retired in 2006, her sons began another restoration, expanding the kitchen and adding a northern wing to the building.